Friday, April 3, 2009

The Circus

Someone reminded me recently that I haven't written a blog entry in quite a while. Honestly, I didn't think anyone read these. I've also been VERY busy. Someone who shall remain nameless has been working me like a dog. :-) You know who you are.
But seriously. Lacey, found that the Shrine Circus was in town and because she works weekends and I work during the week we decided to go to the 7:30 pm show on Thursday night. Little did we know that apparently they do not quite gear their shows towards the family types. Because INTERMISSION was at 9:15 and we had to go to get the kids in bed. CRAZY! PLUS, where are the animals and the motorcycles. I honestly think I can only remember my experiences with the Ringling Brother Circus and never the Shrine Circus. My mom did tell me however, that for every ticket we buy 2 kids get to go for free. So at least we did good with our purchases. We also got to sit on the ground floor second row. We wanted the one row buffer to corral the kids a little bit. I really don't need my kids running under the horses (I mean unicorn's) legs. REALLY, a unicorn????
Anyway, the boys had a GREAT time. They loved the clowns and got them to give them balloons. And I showed Trevor that he could get the clowns' autographs. So whenever he saw a new clown he would grab the book and say, "clown". So we'd get another autograph. Then the show started with Chinese dancing dogs. All the boys thought that was great. Then came the trapeze artists. One of them fell twice, and Kyle and Trevor both took in a breath. Course so did Lacey, my mom and me. There was a net don't worry. However, the net did seem a little shoddy, which made me nervous. Trevor and Alex definitely liked it though. I just stared and watched them.

Then came the horses, I mean the unicorn and the pegasuses (is that a word?) I don't know if I'm just too old but I really thought it was REALLY cheesy. But the horses were pretty. They had lots of glitter and when they ran their wings actually did flap. The kids liked it too. I think they liked all shows but they all lasted too long so they got distracted and started playing and running back and forth between all our seats.

My favorite part was the contortionist. Okay I know my spelling stinks but you know what I mean. She was amazing. I'm pretty sure she didn't have a spine, and her legs were not connected properly. She spun some things on her feet but started them at different times. It was really weird. The boys also got cotton candy, popcorn, and flashy fiber optic thingys.


When we left Trevor noticed that the elephants were coming back out for people to ride. He thought that meant he was going to get a ride. So he pretty much screamed, "Trevor, ride" and "elephan" the entire way to the car. I was actually surprised he could say that much of elephant. So lessons learned:

  1. 4:00pm showing, or earlier, never go to the 7:30pm with kids
  2. Let Trevor ride the elephants
  3. Show the boys the autograph page in their book earlier so they can get more clown's signatures
  4. Sit in the front row
  5. Be prepared for the older kids to try to steal the balloons from the little kids (that really annoyed me)

Now that I know what to expect, we should have a much better time next time. Hopefully, I remember to reference this blog next time I go.

No comments: